Full Job Description
High School Magazine is a literary, lifestyle and art magazine for African teens and our identities, stories and voices.
As the voice of the next generation of African creatives, our driven content takes teens and young people and place them before other teens and say; YOU TOO CAN BE LIKE THIS.
Creativity is life. It is passion, and all have it within. The spark just need a switch to ignite it. Serving a generation of fact-finders, creative, curious and fast learners, we continue to pioneer in content creation for the African teenager.
High School Magazine is searching for a savvy, organized, innovative and self-motivated Manager of Social Media to run the day-to-day social operations. The Senior Manager will help to shape the voice, strategy, and programming on social media for High School Magazine, and will oversee other team members and report to the Audience Development Director.
This role is primarily responsible for daily posting and scheduling on Instagram as well as executing strategy for various other platforms like TikTok, Facebook and Twitter. This role works collaboratively across teams to roll out monthly cover launches and features, deliver on sponsorships and commerce goals, and develop growth strategy.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to spot trending stories and will know how to develop programming strategies around tentpole events. They have a passion for storytelling and attention to detail, a proven history of growing and managing massive social audiences, a deep understanding of what makes content successful on each platform, familiarity with commerce, and will be adept with strategies and tactics that increase social engagement and click-through.
The role is intended for someone who cares deeply about the important topics we cover, has strong writing skills, knowledge of analytical tools, and takes initiative. This person has an instinct for what’s on (and off) brand, has an eye for powerful visuals, understands how data can inform a smart editorial strategy, and is an expert at juggling multiple projects, managing deadlines, distilling social numbers into actionable insights, and advocating for strong social content across the organization.
Please note that these are unpaid positions and no specific salary would be provided. Remuneration however will be provided to cater for cost of internet and network data.
- Work closely with the Director of Audience to develop strategies to grow High School Magazine’s social audience. Execute social media campaigns that grow our following and yield significant referral traffic. Set goals & performance metrics to measure success
- Hone our voice and visual presentation on platforms including Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and others (this person will create a new social style guide that will be the team’s point of reference)
- Work with other creative departments to ensure that social strategy is baked into the editorial process. Help other teams (including edit & video) to better understand what will amuse, inform and entertain the audience, and what leads to sharing and engagement. Deliver regular updates on best practices
- Develop innovative, attention-grabbing social programming across platforms. Secure exclusive content for social channels including behind-the-scenes photos, videos, on-site coverage from live events, and tentpole activations
- Manage and communicate up on the social programming calendar, keeping all stakeholders aware of the planning process. Help plan and promote special editorial packages on key trends and events (Summit, Fashion Week, Awards Season, etc.)
- Internalize the site’s analytics, and excel at identifying opportunities for growth in engagement or referral traffic based on data and industry trends
- Develop and curate reels content on Instagram to meet our platform’s objective and goals.
- 1-2 years of relevant experience managing social media for a large brand or self
- Proven experience exceeding goals in audience growth and engagement
- A strong knowledge of all available social analytics and scheduling tools
- Excellent editorial judgement, the ability to quickly write and edit attention-grabbing copy, and a clear understanding of our voice and visual style
- Must be confident, collaborative, communicative, and a team player who approaches challenges with openness and ideas
What happens next?
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send a cover letter to the hiring manager at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will review your application as soon as possible. You can update your cover letter at any time by accessing your candidate profile.